Friday, December 14, 2012

I came to Maldon and went home early with food poisoning (self inflicted!)


I have been trying to workout why there is no blog from the Maldon Folk Festival 2007?  There is 2006 and a 2008.  I found the ticket so I had definately bought one and am was sure that I went.

Then I was was reading the 2009 blog and I realised.  I got food poisoning, and self inflicted at that.

I would have gone up during the week and setup camp.

Ross Barker, the Newstead butcher and bull boar king
[Photo: Weekly Times]
It's all a bit vague, but I remember buying bull boars on the way there from the Newstead Butcher.

I setup camp at the Butts (Tarrengower Reserve) and cooked the the bull boars for tea in the camp oven on the Thursday night.

Front entrance of the Maryborough Hospital where I dialysed
[Photo: Maryborough District Health Service]
I went off to dialysis first thing Friday morning leaving them in the camp oven under the table on what turned out to be a stinking hot day.

Bulls Boars, a rare delicacy, too good to throw out
[Photo: Asian Food Channel]
It was well into the afternoon before I got back and even though I was a bit worried about their integrity as bull boars were a rare delicacy for me I was unwilling to forgo the left over ones left in the camp oven dispite the hot weather and decided they were still good for lunch.

By Friday night I was violently ill, vomiting.  I couldn't hold anything down though the Saturday, not even liquid.

The Mount Alexander Hospital where I was treated for food poisoning
[Photo: Cassidy Real Estate]
On Sunday morning I was still really ill so I went into Castlemaine to the Chemist, who sent me up to the Mt Alexander Hospital.

Even though it was a Sunday morning in a small local hospital and a holiday weekend, to my surprise they were still running an out patients clinic.

After examination, injection which gave me a lot of relief, it was back to the chemist with a script for tablets.

Herc Lathauras of Ad Hoc
[Photo: Jeffrey Chua]
Fiddler Trying Out Wildwood Instruments
[Photo: Jeffrey Chua]
Unwanted Men in Black And a Lady
[Photo: Mick Coates]
As I had really been knocked around and was quite dehydrated I struggled through the rest of Sunday then went home went home early Monday, rather than  staying for Monday show then going home Tuesday as I normally do.

But I couldn't go straight home.  I had to pick my stuff up from Maryborough dialysis clinic where I was due on Monday morning.  They still offered to dialyse me, but as I wasn't staying and was intent on going home and doing it there that night.

Even on my way home I had to keep stopping to rest as I was so exhausted from being ill.

Ever since I have always carried Gastro-Stop tablets with me as when ever I go to such an event.

Unlike others, this whole Festival is all but a vague memory.

[Og Bear]

No comments:

Post a Comment